subscribe: Posts | Comments

History

First Presbyterian Church of Alabaster (Cumberland)

According to the oldest records that can be located, First Presbyterian Church of Alabaster (Cumberland) was organized sometime prior to 1851. The church was originally known as the Henry Ewing Church.  In September, 1857, C.B. Elliott and William Leonard deeded one square acre of land on the east side of Cahaba Valley Road to A.J. Cross, G.W. Harris, and J.T. Allen, the ruling elders of the Henry Ewing Church, and their successors.  A log building was built on that land to hold worship services.  It’s believed that the log building was the first permanent structure dedicated for use by this congregation.

In 1897, the church changed its name to Elliottsville Cumberland Presbyterian Church to better reflect the community that had grown up around the church.

1970-80ishElliottsvilleCPCIn 1942, the log church building was torn down and a new building was erected on roughly the same site, using some of the material salvaged from the log building.  Two Sunday School rooms were added in 1952 and a Fellowship Hall was constructed in 1965.  The education wing was added in 1973.  Though they have been remodeled on multiple occasions, both the Fellowship Hall and the Education Building are still the same structures that are in use today.

Finally, in 1989, the current sanctuary was built and the old sanctuary was turned into a chapel and office space.

In the 1980’s, the small community of Elliottsville was annexed by the rapidly growing City of Alabaster.  As time went on and Alabaster continued to grow, the congregation once again began to feel that the time had come to change their name in order to better reflect the community they served.  Thus, on February 6, 2005, the name of the church was formally changed to First Presbyterian Church of Alabaster (Cumberland.)

 

History of Pastors